You just came home and walk into your bathroom after a long stressful day at work, looking forward to a relaxing dump...but Woah! Something smells terrible, enough to scare away your doodies from the toilet bowl.
So what’s your next option? You’re instantly tempted to use chemically composed room fresheners that are overpowering enough to scare the daylights outta you? Notwithstanding, the toll they take on your respiratory system. Pheww…!
Here we bring to you, 4 poo-fect homemade air freshener tips that make for a safe and natural (of course, cheap) home fragrance.
Homemade air freshener/room spray
Let's start with a simple one. And what could be simpler than just spraying a pleasant fragrance in your bathroom, bedroom or your furniture? Moreover, this homemade air freshener recipe is a no-brainer but as effective as it can get.
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Add 2-3 drops of your favourite essential oil (depending on the features of each oil - this might help ya All you need to know about essential oils)
- Add some distilled water
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and pour the mixture into a spray bottle
Your very own customized homemade air freshener spray is now ready to use! Use this homemade air freshener spray on the surface of the area (toilet seat, couch, table) you would want to smell good.
The ultimate toilet bowl odour buster
If you're against dropping synthetic fragrance down the bowl, you're just like us! In that case, this homemade air freshener blocks recipe can ease your bathroom worries. Want more? You can store them and use for a longer time.
- Put 1 cup baking soda and 1/3 cup natural citric acid in a metal bowl
- Add 12-15 drops of your desired essential oil
- Wear gloves and knead the mixture into small cubes (you can add water to improve consistency)
- Put the cubes into an ice tray and let it dry all night
- Store the freshener cubes into a cute container jar
Whenever you feel your washroom needs an instant burst of natural freshness, put 1-2 cubes into the bowl, let it fizz for a few minutes and flush it.
Pro Tip: If you don't want to go through the hassle of making them but still want an odour-free toilet, go for Smeltt toilet sprays that are made with natural essential oils and 100% safe to use!
Pomander Freshener Balls
Up for trying something vintage? This homemade air freshener recipe was highly used by medieval people when commercial freshener sprays were not introduced. Yes, we are talking about the world's earliest homemade air freshener!
- Take a couple firm oranges and stud them with clove buds. Ready!
- If you wanna hang your cloved pomander, run a long firm wire through the orange; tie a knot at the bottom and a loop at the top for it to hang. If not, just place it on a tray
PS: In case you're EXTRA like us...tie a ribbon around your pomander for a festive look and arrange the cloves in a fancy pattern.
Simmered Homemade Air Freshener
Want to uplift the aura of your home on a festive occasion. This effective homemade air freshener recipe has long been used by restaurateurs and real estate agents to elevate the fragrance of their space on special occasions.
- Add some water, lemon and orange slices in a pot
- Put 2 cinnamon sticks and 4 cloves